Missio offices from around the world have come together to create a short film for this year’s World Mission Sunday. It contains the voices of missionaries from more than 50 countries. The film, translated into more than 30 languages, features both lay people and religious, and is inspired by the Holy Father’s theme for World Mission Sunday 2021: ‘We cannot but speak about what we have seen and heard’ (Acts 4:20).
World Mission Sunday will happen on 24th October and is the one day in the year when every parish, in every diocese celebrates mission and being part of a global family. Coordinated by Missio, it is a moment of grace to express solidarity with our brothers and sisters in Christ who are living in situations of poverty, violence and oppression.
In his message for World Mission Sunday, Pope Francis says: ‘With Jesus, we too have seen, heard and experienced that things can be different’. God wants a life of hope, peace and harmony for all his children and continues to seek out those who will bear witness to his love, mercy and forgiveness.
For more information about World Mission Sunday and to watch the short film, click on the video on the right of this page.
- World Mission Sunday is coordinated by Missio, the Pope’s official charity for world mission.
- The World Mission Sunday collection is one of just three personally requested by the Pope each year.
- World Mission Sunday takes place annually on the penultimate Sunday in October.
- Missio worldwide supports every mission diocese overseas (1,070) until they are self-sufficient.
- Missio ignites God’s love by helping missionaries to work alongside communities globally that are poor or in need, regardless of their background or belief.
Sometimes this need might be very specific: a motorbike for a priest to celebrate Mass in remote villages; a simple community hall so people can gather together; vaccinations to protect vulnerable children. Whatever our missionaries need to help them share the joy of the Gospel, Missio strives to provide it.
By supporting Missio, you play a valuable part in creating a vibrant Catholic Church for the future.
By volunteering, raising or donating funds, and by praying with children, grandchildren or students, YOU make our mission possible.
Together we are enriching today’s global Catholic community.
Together we are training tomorrow’s generation of priests and sisters.
Together we are giving hope to the world’s poorest children.
Together we are Missio.
- Offerings from Catholics in England and Wales on World Mission Sunday are combined with donations to the Association for the Propagation of the Faith (APF) in all countries where the Church is present and distributed to 1,070 mission dioceses worldwide.
- In 2020, the World Mission Sunday collection in parishes across England and Wales raised £420,320 for Missio’s work.