The Theology and Religion Department of Durham University has renewed an innovative agreement with Vancouver School of Theology (VST) to continue enabling students to pursue a Durham University PhD from Canada.
Under the agreement, students can complete the research-based PhD in Theology at VST in three years (full-time) or six years (part-time). The course is distinct from other North American doctoral programs which typically require course work, extending the student’s learning period and financial commitment.
Students may travel to Durham University for an orientation but will complete most of their studies in Vancouver under the direction of a Durham University supervisor and a VST co-supervisor. Students accepted into the program will be eligible for bursaries and scholarships offered by both universities.
There are no other Canadian institutions west of Toronto that offer a PhD program in Theology. This highly innovative collaboration responds to a significant need for a research-intensive doctoral program in Western Canada.
This new agreement will continue the partnership formed in 2018 between Durham and VST until the end of September 2028. At this time, the PhD in Theology program is only available to students who are Canadian citizens or have Canadian Permanent Resident status.
Find out more
- Learn more about the Durham/VST PhD in Theology.
- Our Department of Theology and Religion is ranked 6th globally in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2024 and is consistently rated as one of the top Departments in the world.
- Vancouver School of Theology is part of the University of British Columbia and is an innovator in theological education. Its primary mandate is to educate thoughtful, engaged and generous Christian leaders for the church in the 21st century.
- Find out more about PhD bursaries and scholarships from Durham University and Vancouver School of Theology.
- Durham University is a top 100 world university. In the QS World University Rankings 2024, we were ranked 78th globally.
- Find out more about our international partnerships.